[Shotimes] Replacing a 92 MTX Steering Rack: Doable with jackstands in a carport?

Peter Chase pbchase@gmail.com
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:06:44 -0400

I just noticed that in addition to a slow leak out of the drivers side
steering rack boot, my passenger side inner tie rod has a few
millimeters of play, which I'm hoping is the reason for my mystery
vibration (that wheel re-balances won't cure)that visibly shakes the
whole dashboard on the highway. A shop just quoted me 400 for a rack
and 250 for labor to replace it so now I'm thinking about:
1. Replacing the whole rack myself.
2. Dealing with the slow leak and replacing just the inner tie-rod.
3. Replacing the seal on the drivers side and the inner tie-rod.

How tough is each of these jobs? I'm really leaning toward option 2
for budget and time reasons and because I've replaced an inner tie-rod
on a VW manual rack before.

Thanks,
   Peter (continuing my love/hate relationship with my SHO) ;-)