[Shotimes] Racing

Mark Nunnally marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:43:33 -0400

Well I think they are good, most just don't get much seat time on a road
course.  On the flip side you'll see a lot of the road course guys go to the
mile and a half tracks, etc, and not do that well.  Scott Pruett didn't do
so hot during his short cup era, and Boris (same team/equipment as Joe
Nemechek) doesn't run as well as him on the ovals.  Just a different
disciple.

What I *do* like is that on a road course you can take a mediocre car and a
great driver and do great.  On an oval if you have a mediocre car, it's just
not going to hang, even with a good driver.  Mostly because of the aero,
etc.  On a road course it's all balance, rhythm, smooth, late braking,
corner transistions, etc.  The driver has a LOT more input into the final
lap time vs an oval.  So it's cool to see a great driver in a so so car run
through the field.

I think stewart is a great driver.  In terms of just sheer car
control/driving ability, I'd say him and Gordon (jeff) are probably the 2
best in the series.  If I was a team owner they'd be the 2 guys I'd pick to
just get in and get it done.  They can drive anything and drive it fast, on
about any type of track.  In fact most of the really good wheel men (Kahne,
Newman, etc) come from the same background (driving 800 hp 1300 lb sprint
cars on dirt).  If you can drive one of those (fast), you can drive
anything!

Mark