[Shotimes] another turbo SHO

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:17:28 -0400

Well, what I have found over the years is that the usual SHO mods help out,
but don't do much. My '89 was a damn good-running car, but after the mods it
felt normal to me. Other folks drove it, and said "wow". If I drove a stock
SHO, it felt a bit slower, but not much.

IMHO, the only mods that really are worth it are a good y-pipe and UDPs.
These help both power throughout the range, and gas mileage.

Remember that SHOs were always my daily drivers for 5 years, and that's the
way I view them.

There is a background deal that has bee discussed for over 4 years now. If I
have another SHO, it will be a low-mileage, 100% stock, garage queen.

To me, the best serious mod is to drop a 3.2 into an MTX, and add the
previously mentioned Y-pipe and UDPs, and call it a day.

For track work, do the brakes and suspension. Overall, the best
bang-for-the-buck on a SHO are in brake/suspension/wheel/tire mods.

From: Ian Fisher [mailto:dataflash@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:02 PM
To: Ron Porter; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] another turbo SHO

You finally did the right thing and got rid of the
SHO's. Now you are considering another one!?!?

I agree, these days it makes more sense to get a nice
play car and keep a low mileage SHO around just for
kicks. They are cheap enough to be able to do so. A
few years ago it made some sense to mod SHO's. With
today's automobile offerings, a much nicer car can be
had with the same (if not more) power or potential and
probably for less money as well.

None of the above actually means I'm planning on
returning mine to stock anytime soon. :)

Ian