[Shotimes] Re: Need Front Vent Blade

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:58:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

The blades are very brittle and break easily if you try to bend them to remove them.  Also, the little vertical piece that the blades snap into is easily broken.  On the other hand, the entire vent assembly is very difficult to remove without breaking the tabs that hold it into the dashboard.  What you really need to do is remove just the piece that houses all the blades, just inside the outer framework.  There are 4 short pins that hold it in place.  Use a small flat blade screwdriver, insert it between the outer framework and inner assembly at the bottom (start toward the left or right side first), pry gently upward (you'll be able to see the pins), and pull out slightly so the pin comes out of the hole, then repeat for the other pin on the bottom, and the two pins on top.  The assembly will pull out at that point.  Very hard to explain, but easy to figure out if you look at it.  I've broken many vent blades and now have a spare assembly ready to pop in if I break another.  It always seems to be the passenger side that gets broken.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Peter Maggiacomo <gtsrider@yahoo.com>
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Need  Front Vent Blade

Just Got my 95 MTX back from the dealer on Saturday,
after a heater core and evaporator replacement.
Just noticed today that one of the dealer guerrillas
broke the front passenger side AC vent blade.
It's the lowest of I think 3 blades. The good news is
it looks like an easy snap in replacement if I can
find one.
The color of the interior is the rare taupe. (ha, ha)
If anyone has a taupe interior parts car, I sure would
love that lower vent blade. Thanks.
-Pete