[Shotimes] weird codes

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:04:57 -0500

Left vs, right, I wanna say Left is front, right is rear, (like if you
turned it 90 degrees to go in a RWD setup, then stood on the
transmission looking at the motor) but don't quote me here, I have a
hard time remembering the simple stuff.

The no-switching thing has to do with the function of the O2 sensor.
The basically output a sine wave, and that's what the computer is
expecting it.  If you really did destroy the O2 then what happens is
either, 1) the frequency of the wave drops below what the computer is
looking for, or 2) the frequency has gone to 0 (totally dead sensor).
In either case the computer is looking to see this thing move around,
and it is seeing a solid value from the sensor which basically means
the thing is not putputting right.

With the Tweecer and Calcon you can watch the HEGO's switch back and
forth and it begins to make a bit more sense.  If it is stuck at a
limit, then the PCM tries to richen (or lean, depends on where it's
stuck) the fuel until it sees it switching again.  That's why old
HEGOs that are reading slightly false make for poor milage and poor
emissions.

The switching effect is also why trying to read your A/F ratio from a
Narrow band it like trying to determine the future from the palm of
your hand.  Especially at WOT where the O2's basically will saturate
and give no signal becasue it is outside their "Narrow" range.

WB02, nice addition for anyone interested in really tuning their car.