adjusting cams was Re: [Shotimes] Help with engine stumble in 95 MTX

bjshov8 bjshov8@comcast.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:33:39 -0500

When you regrind a cam without welding it you reduce the base circle,
meaning you need thicker shims to set proper valve clearance.  This doesn't
imply increased lift because the top of the lobes could be treated several
different ways- you can have higher lift, increased duration, or a little
bit of both.  If lift was increased then it could become an interference
engine.  However "could" and "does" are 2 different things.