[Shotimes] Crank Key

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 0:45:24 -0400

   Well, I finally got around to getting my spare key off of the motor in my shed.  And I've installed my timing belt and am about to finish buttoning up the engine.  So, as I'm casually going through boxes in my office, what do I happen upon?  A brand new crank key.  The same key I spent hours looking for, including in this very box!  Aargh!!
   The good news?  I now know EXACTLY where the key is, in case the key on the car succumbs.
   Oh, and I feel strongly that the problem with the keys stems from turning the crank without the crank pulley in place to tension the belt.  As a precaution, after turning the crank with just the timing pulley on, I gently tapped the pulley and it moved in about 1/8".  So, it had walked out while being turned.
   Even at recommended torque, I don't think the bolt would be able to pull in both the crank pulley and the timing pulley, so after time the timing pulley could wobble around and eat the key.
   Even if that's not it, I now know where both my spare key and my spare timing pulley are :)

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)
Sierra Vista, AZ