[Shotimes] My electrical problem fixed

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:36:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Just wanted to follow up on my original post about my weird electrical problems.  I had my alternator rebuilt ($140 +tax) and replaced the battery, and all seems good now.  I was very impressed by the rebuilder (recommended by Alan Fanning, btw) - he took one look at the alternator and said "Taurus...SHO".  It turns out the diodes were bad.

The alternator was easier to replace than I thought it would be.  There's one tip I can pass along - when I rotated the tensioner to remove the belt, I used a breaker bar with a hole in the end of the handle and I tied it to the engine lift bracket with a bent clothes hanger and left it in place while the alternator was out.  That way, I didn't have to deal with trying to release all the tension with no room to let the breaker bar swing back.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX