[Shotimes] Re: A/C Help?

Mark Mucher mmucher@bellsouth.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:23:31 -0400

Here's the latest!

I  took it to a shop that was highly recommended both by a good friend of
mine who is into cars (his latest is a '70 El Camino SS454 LS-6) AND my auto
parts guy (who owns his own shop).

The gauges said 150 high and 250 low!  That doesn't mean anything to me
EXCEPT the numbers sound backwards...

The pressure holds long after shutting down.

The shop owner says it means that there is a bad restriction in the system
somewhere and suggested replacing the liquid line (with the orifice valve in
it) and the receiver drier.

He also warned me that, once it is opened up, he may find that the
compressor is coming apart and that is what caused the clog.

He also suggested converting to R-134a.

It's going in early tomorrow morning.

Any last minute suggestions/ideas, guys and gals?

Thanks,

Mark

Well, WRONG AGAIN, Mark <G>

It seems that the A/C clutch is operating properly.

My brain is fried (probably from driving the SHO w/no A/C).

Does that pin it down to loss of Freon (leak)?

Can a sniffer find a leak on an empty system?

Thanks again,

Mark

Folks,

My '90 w/ETAC and R12 was having clutch gap problems so, a couple weeks ago,
I pulled out the last shim and it blew cold as hell..

Yesterday the A/C stopped dead in the middle of a ten mile trip.

I'll do the research and diags but I wondered if anyone could suggest what
the most likely cause could be, thus perhaps saving me a lot of grief.

I haven't done anything yet except to observe that it has never even tried
to blow cold since it stopped..

It's not blowing THAT hot. so it's not a blend door.

Electrical?

Loss of Freon?  (Why now?)

Can an ETAC self test help?

Any and all help appreciated.