[Shotimes] Re: A/C Help?

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:35:03 -0700

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:23:31 -0400, Mark Mucher wrote:

>The shop owner says it means that there is a bad restriction in the system
>somewhere and suggested replacing the liquid line (with the orifice valve in
>it) and the receiver drier.
>
>He also warned me that, once it is opened up, he may find that the
>compressor is coming apart and that is what caused the clog.
>
>He also suggested converting to R-134a.

Do it all.  I've converted 5 SHOs, one GL wagon, and one F350 to R134 over the last
10 years, and been TOTALLY happy with each conversion.  I have a dependable place
that's done them all, and the folks there
cover any problems that might occur, but I have been very happy with the performance
of the systems after they've been converted.  Not one problem has occured with any
of the converted/replaced components.  The truck's system is over 12 years old
(oldest one), and has laid around for years at a time not being used, yet it cools
instantly when turned on....never needed recharging.

Naturally, you need to keep the vehicle for long enought to make the expense worth
while.  Each job was right about $1000 for me, but the vehicles were all worth it
(except the Plus from Hell).  We didn't take any shortcuts...keeping old
compressors, liquid lines, not changing receiver driers, etc.

George