[Shotimes] Time for suspension work - Springs?

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:53:48 -0400

Jack;
Glad to help, just got done with all that.
Stock Ford ride heights are measured from wheel center to fender lip:
Gen I 15.69" Fr  13.13" Rr
Gen II 16.10" Fr  15.10" Rr
The fenders are a little diff, especially in back
I 've had 2 SHO's and they both sagged off-spec in the rear.
My '94 MTX was over 1.0" low in the back
Carrying a lot of weight in the trunk, and having bad shocks, wears out
springs.
I used the Cargo Coil CC-839 in the back with new upper spring mounts,
springs are uncut.
The rear was a little high so I used George Fourchey's cut-off-the tab
method to lower the rear 1/4-1/2 in.
That was about all I could go and not have the spring mount hit the tire,
cause I got stock size tires (215/60)
It is now almost exactly on the factory spec number, and has a nice little
rake to it.
The fender gaps are almost exactly even fr & rr.
I can send you a profile shot if you want.
Big diff from the sagging rear.
I still have the stock Ford springs in front.
My 94 has the softer stock springs with the TRS spring tag code. (155 lb
rate)
Rides nice and firm (but supple) with the new Koni's :-)
Ians car (93?) has Eibachs and 1/2 in shorter tires and sits 1&1/2" lower
overall than my car, with about the same rake to it.
It looks meaner that low and with those fat 235/45-17 tires too.

Lee