[Shotimes] yet another tire/rim question

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:18:33 -0500

I think also what could be found is that a taller tire tends to bubble
out a bit more at the contact patch than a shorter one.  There is just
more rubber there to deflect than a shorter one.

I remember seeing 225's on Kurt Metro's old SHO.  they were firehawks
and I think a 60 series.  Not positive though.  They bulged a lot at
the contact patch and made me wary of a 225 on a slicer.  (his were
aftermarket wheels i think.)  I ended up though running a 225/50/16 on
a slicer and it sat pretty well.  I think the shorter sidewall helps.

i had 245/45/17s on a 17x8 and found that they sat quite nicely, no
big bulges.  Now I got stuck with a 17x7 rim (by cost mostly) and a
245/40/17 and they do bulge a bit more at the contact patch.  It is
hard to determine the feel of the tire at full tread anyway.  It is
tough to say that any squirm you feel is due to sidewall flex (based
on more bulge=more flex) vs. feeling the full tread depth squirm.  I
don't think I could tell the difference.  I thought the 245/45's
squirmed a lot when new, but after the tread was shorter the squirm
was gone.  I guess it was less sidewall and more tread.  I have a
feeling I will see the same from the new 245/40 Kuhmos

Overall I am pleased, but to get a 245/45 or a 245/40/17 to fit can be
a bit tough.  I have special spacer's I have to use to make them fit.
they are an exact thickness to clear the struts.  (don't remember
exactly now).  But those including a 40mm offset wheel will net a
perfect fit.  It took a couple tries though to get them right.