[Shotimes] What's wrong with my calipers?

Peter Chase pbc69stang@yahoo.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:48:47 -0800 (PST)

After replacing my e-brake cables and testing out the e-brake a few times, I noticed that my right caliper was still sticking. Upon looking closely at where the cable connects to the caliper, it looks like the lever arm for the e-brake isn't long enough, forcing the cable to turn as it comes out of the cable housing.  This caused so much friction where the cable comes out of the housing that after only a few applications of the e-brake, the plastic coating protecting the cable had already been worn through, exposing the metal cable.  Someone please tell me that this isn't the way it's supposed to be.  Could my calipers have the wrong e-brake levers?  The caliper is a Ford piece and the levers look to be the same age as the calipers themselves so it doesn't look like they were replaced ever.  The left side seems to have the same problem as the plastic coating had been worn off of that cable too, although it seems to be less of a problem because the left caliper will release fully
 after you take the e-brake off.  Anybody experience this before?  Also, I took some pics of the calipers but I'm not sure of the best way to post them to the list.  I've included some snapfish links to the pics, but I'm not sure if it will work for everybody.  Anybody know of a free picture hosting site?
                                               Thanks,
                                                    Peter
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=781161105904464468/l=40657837/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=976161105904492979/l=40657838/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC