[Shotimes] CV halfshaft replacement

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:40:24 -0400

> I have reviewed the replacement strategy as outlined in the Helms manual. Am
> having some difficulty getting the lower ball joint out of the hub assembly.
> For some reason, I can't seem to get the control arm to go low enough to
> clear. Any suggestions or hints? I have the car up on jacks and the wheel/tire
> assemblies and axle nuts are removed.
>
> Andy

Andy,
   It's easiest if the steering rack is still attached to the knuckle.  Unlock the steering wheel, and crank the wheel all the way AWAY from the side you're replacing.  That will push the spindle out as far as possible, which makes both removing the ball joint and removing the halfshaft itself easier.  Once there, get a prybar and run it above the lower control arm, parallel to the strut rod, into the subframe where the strut rod mounts (towards the front), and push down.  It should have enough clearance now.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)
Sierra Vista, AZ