[Shotimes] Fuel Filter

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:05:15 -0500

I just went through this with my '97 suspecting the fuel pump.  I ended up
attaching a fuel pump pressure gauge to the windshield wiper and driving
around like this for a couple of days.

The fuel pressure regulator will reduce the pumps pressure.  It is operated by
engine vacuum.  So the higher the engine vacuum the lower the pressure.  WOT
will be the highest pressure and should be around 40 lbs.  Idle would be
around 35 lbs and coast closed throttle at high rpms will be the lowest but
still above 30 lbs.

I would think the WOT reading is the best indicator of the fuel pump's
condition.  If it is above 40 lbs there but too low at idle I would suspect
the fuel pressure regulator.  You can simulate WOT at idle conditions by
removing the vacuum line will the engine is running.

Paul