[Shotimes] Re: Tires

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:59:56 -0500

I personally live about 1.5 hours from the tire rack, so I will
generally just drive up there and have them install whatever I buy.
Good service, and you can't beat a place that has a building 3 times
the size of your normal wal-mart.  they have nearly anything you can
dream up... in stock.

As for tires themselves, I am pretty sold on Kuhmo's.  I ran BFG KDWS
on slicers for a while and they were good, got about 15k out of a set.
 Swapped to a Sumitomo KTR+ in the 245/45/17 flavor on an 8" rim.
Good tires initially, but as they wore winter traction became very
minimal.  Also managed to bend 3 of 4 of those particular rims.  Don't
ask how, I don't even know.

After that I swapped to a Kuhmo ASX on the 93.  245/45/17 on a 7.5"
rim.  Godd fit for the rim, but has a bit of sidewall flex and/or sway
in the tread blocks.  I have not logged a ton of miles on these (about
4000) but have found them to do very well.  I am in a climate where
all seasons are required if you don't have multiple summer/winter
sets.  The ASX's did well on an autox course, but don't expect them to
perform like a summer only or an R compound tire.

back several years ago I was using a BFG R1 as a track tire.  Contrary
to Ron Porter I will be dragging these out for convention (Don, I'm
gonna send in my registration today,  I promise!).  They are old and
prettuy hard, but I might as well beat them up a bit before trashing
them.  When they were in good condidtion they STUCK LIKE GLUE!  but,
obviously ine would expect an R compund tire to do so.

Sor the money though, Kuhmo's are hard to beat.