[Shotimes] Re: Tires

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:49:15 -0500

I have had very good luck with two types of Continental tires:

Sport Contacts for summer driving and Touring Contacts for year round
driving when you deal with snow.

The Sport contacts were on my '89 and went through several summers and
more than a few track days, and I retired them to my son who has run
them several more track days and two more summers.  They are finally
getting replaced by Yokohama AVS ES100's.  (he had the AVSdb and did NOT
like them).

I have used continental Touring Contacts on my '96 SHO for a couple of
years and three winteres so far and they  behave wonderfully, even on
track days.  No they didn't stick like race rubber, but they didn't
chunk, were super quiet and dug in like real snow tires in the winter.
For year round use, they are cheap, round, look good and are original
equipment on a lot of new cars including the new 300Hemi.  I heartily
recommend Continentals.

I put a set of the Yokohama ES100's on my '96 for summer use finally to
get a bit more track bite, and save the touring contacts for winter only
now.  The ES100's are great summer tires that are low priced, high
quality and stick really well.

IF you can't guess, I love a tire that gives great value/price and
performance.  Why pay $200 per tire when you get 98% of the performance
at $100 or under with some good buying decisions.

Don Mallinson