[Shotimes] Looking to rejoin the ranks: Q on first gear power

David Early dearly@quallaby.com
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:14:18 -0600

And third times the charm.

  _____

Hi all,

First a little history:

I am a former addict/owner of a SHO (white '95 ATX) that was totaled early
in 2001 by some idiot in a Durango.  At the time, I tried to buy a very
nice, literally driven by a little old lady SHO locally, but the guy
chickened out at the last moment on the sale (long story.another post).
Everything else locally was garbage.  Ended up buying a 99 MTX Passat.not a
bad car really, kinda fun to drive but not quite in the same way obviously.

Anyway, on a whim last week I did a search on ebay and other places to see
what a SHO would cost me, mileage on the cars, etc.

Was surprised to find a red '92 MTX, black leather interior, just 20 minutes
south of me with "only" 81k miles on it.  Since the wife was out of town, I
figured what the heck and went and looked at it.

Very nice car, really,  Outside is beautifully maintained (has a few chips
here and there, but this is Colorado), inside needs a detail job and some
leather treatment, but the leather isn't any worse off then my Passat ('99,
66k miles).  Drives quite well and had meticulous records.  This guy is the
second owner, a DIY'er who showed a good general knowledge of cars and it
showed in the three vehicles I saw.

Which brings me to the question:

Is there anything that would make the car feel "weak" in first gear?

There wasn't any obvious hesitation or drop in power at low RPM, but the
first gear power seemed a little lower off the line than I remembered.  Now,
this may be me not remembering the power curve properly, but it seems to me
that my old ATX had a bit more poop off the line than this one did.

Having driven an MTX for several years now, the clutch seemed firm,
responsive and fast (no obvious slipping), and at higher gears the power
seemed OK, but still not what I remember my first SHO having..better than my
Passat, but maybe it is just me remembering the past in glowing terms.

The car is no slouch, and had decent power.just seemed a bit weak off the
line.

A few things need to be done: the valve shims were never done, timing belt
needs to be replaced, probably do the water pump at the same time plus all
the sensors.  The temp read just below the "M", but that temp sender could
be weak.  Front brakes need new pads.probably replace the stock rotors too
but they had plenty of mass left.  There is a noticeable slop of ~1" in the
center of the steering (will check tie rod ends and do the pinch nut
adjustment).  Plugs and wires were done at 60k.  Car has no obvious fluid
leaks.

So here are my thoughts:  My current car is worth about $8.5k.  I can get
the SHO for $3k.  I put $1.5k or so into obvious repairs/preventative stuff
I do myself (timing belt, underdrive pulleys, valve lash adjustment, water
pump, most seals and sensors, new brake rotors/pads), spring to have the
interior detailed and replenish the leather (which really is in decent shape
for its age) and re-pad the front seats.   I bank about 3.5k after all is
said and done.

Over the next 5 years or so, I won't put a load of miles on the car (work
from home.doing a whopping 450 miles a month), so I could probably sell the
thing for $2500 at the end of that period.(can you tell I'm practicing my
argument for purchasing??  Wife gets back tonight).  The Passat, meantime,
would probably loose $4k in value over the next 5 years.  And yes, the
clutch will have to be done on the SHO in the next few years, but so will
the Passat's clutch.price is (nearly) a wash.

If I assume mostly equal repair/consumable costs, the best case is I come
out about $1.5k ahead overall.  Worst case I think is it would be about
equal costs to own either car.

Besides, it's a bright red MTX SHO!  I could rejoin the ranks of SHO owners
and enjoy the car for a few years.

Any thoughts on the power issues.and whether I can convince the AWA to let
me do it..

Dave Early

Lafayette, CO