[Shotimes] stalling problem

Co-Op Co-Op@SchrammInc.com
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:18:19 -0400

My ATX stalled on the way in to work this morning.  I had made about 1/2 a
mile from home when the car shut down at about 35 mph.  No check engine
light, no electronic failure (radio stayed on and didn't even cut out for a
second).  The car would crank and try to fire immediately after the stall
out.  It seems as though the engine either lost fuel or spark.  I am almost
suspecting that the fuel pump cut out, but that is only a first impression.
It is a 155lph unit and has about 30k miles on it.  This past week, I
checked valve shims and added an ScTuner and a painted intake.  Where else
could I be looking for the culprit?  Alternator, DIS module, Coil pack, ECU

I doubt the ScTuner is causing the problem since I unplugged it after the
car stalled to see if that was in fact the problem; I made it home on the
stock computer, but the car really wanted to stall unless I kept the revs
up.  I though I had ground enough paint away at ground points, but I will go
over and clean paint from every place that I may have missed.

This is the first issue of the sort that I have had in a few months since
the last stalling problem.  At that time, the car stalled when the car came
to a stop.  I don't think there is any connection between the two.  Since
the original failure, I have replaced: CPS, CID, CORM among other things
related to a cam swap.  The CCRM was a used piece from RCM (the new one I
got from Rock Auto would not turn the fans on), but it has been functioning
fine.  The car has no leaks unless the water pump chose this morning to
implode its seals.

I hope that the problem is not intermittent so that I can examine symptoms
when I get home.  I have not yet been able to look at the car since I parked
it this morning and got a ride from a family member.

Any suggestions, comments, conversations?

Thanks,
Mike Bruce