[Shotimes] RE: Semi (OT) Another A/S Tire Test

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:07:29 -0400

Sounds good

To tie-in to another thread, one size fits all are what all-season (A/S)
tires are. I would recommend to everyone to run two sets of wheels/tires if
you live in the snow belt. Get good summer tires, then get good winter tires
for the other set.

>From personal experience, there are NO A/S tires that can match good Summer
tires in warm weather.

BTW, I found out something interesting about some serious Summer tires. Here
is the advice for the new Yoko ADVAN Neova AD07:

The ADVAN Neova AD07 is the Max Performance Summer tire member of Yokohama's
global family of ADVAN performance tires developed for sports car, sports
coupe and performance sedan enthusiasts who love sport driving. Used as
Original Equipment (O.E.) on the Lotus Elise, the ADVAN Neova AD07 is
designed to provide high levels of traction, responsive handling and driving
control in dry and wet road conditions. The ADVAN Neova AD07 is not intended
to be driven in cold temperatures or in snow.

Designed to deliver Yokohama's ultimate dry street performance while
maintaining good wet traction, the ADVAN Neova AD07 uses a "fine particle"
Micro Silica (MS) tread compound (to provide greater road surface adhesion)
molded into a directional tread pattern that features massive, rounded tread
blocks to increases cornering stability and steering response. Five large
circumferential and multiple directionally aligned lateral grooves resist
hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. Internally, the two wide steel belts
reinforced by spirally wound nylon cap plies and provide excellent strength
and uniform ride quality while the sidewalls are tuned to resist lateral
deflection to provide handling control and feedback.

Like the motorsports tires this Max Performance street tire has evolved
from, the ADVAN Neova AD07 radial's construction and compounds have been
tuned to maximize the tire's traction and performance within a specific
range of ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires,
Yokohama's care instructions specify that due to its compound
characteristics, ADVAN Neova must be used and stored at temperatures above
-100 Celsius (140 Fahrenheit) to maintain its performance and avoid tire
damage.

Ron Porter

  _____