[Shotimes] how do flashers work?

Mike srfdude@cox.net
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:13:14 -0700

Hmmm, some confusion here.  Diodes by themselves have low impedance, and
without a current limiting resistor will run away and burn up immediately.
A typical LED has a forward drop, Vf of around 2V.  Blue LEDs can go as high
as 5V, IIRC.  So the resistor is calculated to drop the remaining voltage
from the source, 13V in the case of automotive applications, based upon the
desired amperage.  Not sure what the amperage requirements of the big LEDs
used in tail light assemblies is; possibly as much as 50 mA.  Simple math to
figure your resistor requirement.
Mike

: Re: [Shotimes] how do flashers work?