[Shotimes] how do flashers work?

James F. Ryan III av8r567@optonline.net
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:04:54 -0400

> I appreciate the lesson, but I think you just said that as a light, the
> LED is very LOW resistance, and thus my first statement would be
> correct.  Yes? No?

If the current-limiting resistor wasn't there, the low resistance of the
forward-biased diode would allow a butt-load of current to flow, and yes
that would give you a very bright light.  BUT, the diode is "delicate" and
can not take a lot of current (hence the current-limiting resistor).  If you
ran the LED without the current-limiting resistor, you probably wouldn't see
ANY light because it would damage itself instantly.  The same way a
filament-type bulb would instantly burn out if not kept in its oxygen-free
environment.