[Shotimes] NEXTEL cup practice at Indy

Co-Op Co-Op@SchrammInc.com
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:28:36 -0400

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050706/SPORTS01/5070604
39/1052/SPORTS01

<snip>
Next week will provide a better indication of what to expect when about 25
drivers, including Dale Earnhardt Jr., Mark Martin and Rusty Wallace, come
directly from this weekend's race at Chicagoland Speedway to test July
11-12. A final session featuring four-time winner Jeff Gordon is scheduled
July 18-19.
Edwards, preparing for his first Indy start, said he expected to be joined
by a "bunch of cars" and now wishes he had waited until next week. More cars
not only give teams a better idea of where they stand but also should fill
in the track's grooves with rubber to make conditions more like those on
race weekend.
Neither that nor a blown engine in the afternoon kept Edwards from enjoying
his day, which began with a walk around the track with his crew chief, Bob
Osborne.
"This is a blast. The track is very fast and so smooth," he said. "I'm just
trying to keep it between the fences. All I can tell you is, if it was much
faster, it would be petrifying."
Sessions run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fans can watch at no charge in the South
Terrace grandstands, located inside the track between turns one and two.
</snip>