[Shotimes] Clutch change?....What's easier? out the bottom...or lift engine out the top?

Bobbbonit@aol.com Bobbbonit@aol.com
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:17:34 EDT

Hello all;
  The throw - out bearing has finally given it's last shift.   Finger damage
is certain, and I'm sure I'll be replacing all them linkages and  bushings
that I've hadn't the pleasure of getting to because of all the BS you  have to go
through taking the differential and tranny out of the bottom of the  car. I
started the driver side just to not to be able to get the knuckle off the
lower control arm, but I'll figure that out. I went to the right side and  got a
better look at what it will take to get the sub frame off and was bummed  out
to see you have to take everything off the bottom of the engine. I wondered  if
since I have the cherry picker hooked to the engine anyways,  why not  just
pull the engine, leaving the tranny and diff, then replace the clutch and
bearing with the engine in the air?  Which is the easiest? Also, do you  have to
pull the half-shaft off the knuckle to get clearance enough to pull the  shaft
out of the diff? I noticed when I pulled the right side knuckle out a  little
, that the center boot would expand like the knuckle was disconnected
inside....Sheeeeew!  stuck Lower knuckle, torn boots and unreusable  retainers,
non-reusable bolts and nuts, cracked motor mounts, broke off exhaust  bolts, front
pan seal leak, possible cat burnout(failed NOX test),   WTF?  It's going to be
awhile to get this one out of drydock this  time...HELP?