[Shotimes] Radio question

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:36:56 +0800

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:41:47 -0500, Kevin & Cheryl Airth wrote:

>As someone on the
>list explained in the past. ALL the radios will go bad, sooner or later.

I remember saying that a few months ago.

I have graphic evidence (and will be able to demonstrate it at the convention) that an
aftermarket radio, even a cheap one, is better than 99% of the factory installed head
units out there....

This is in a Lexus GS-300, 2003 vintage.  This car does not have GPS, and so does not have
the upgraded Mark Levinson sound system.  It had a cassette/am-fm tuner in the center
dash, and a 6 CD changer in the glove compartment.  GS cars from 1999 to 2004 have the
same base radio system (ancient!).  The amps and speakers are pretty good...separate sub
in the rear deck and multi-way speakers in all 4 doors, with tweeters in the front corners
of the front windows.  It sounded OK (not great) playing software, but the radio sucked
big-time....no treble in AM, and the base needed to be all the way up to get any depth in the
CDs and tapes, but which boomed and distorted news and traffic when I needed it.

I removed the radio and installed a low/middle-level Pioneer/Premier (Premier has a 2 year
warranty, and triple RCA outs in even the lowest level decks, vs Pioneer 1 yr and 2 sets)
deck (DEH-P550MP), with a separate unit behind the dash that allows the outputs from
the deck to go to the various amps the car came with (no RCA cables).   Even without using
the sub-woofer outputs on the deck, the car's stock speakers (especially subwoofer)
sound TERRIFIC!!  I've not heard a non-competition car sound as good as this does.  It
doesn't rock the block, but I don't want it to...I want it to surround me with all
frequencies at the highest fidelity possible...I don't care what it sounds like outside the
car.  It is set basically flat, but with the "powerful" EQ curve I can choose with the deck.

Total cost, including XM satellite receiver and antenna, and labor, was under $550 (deck
was $200; I had it already).  I had them install a cable to the trunk so I can use my 50 CD
changer if I feel I want to hear 'my' music.

This car will need NO radio upgrades during its life.  I'm VERY happy.

The new black (not anymore!) SHO will get the same system (Pioneer/Alpine) as is in
Lowrider, which is 'almost' as good (used to be the best, until this upgrade).  Maybe
speaker technology has progressed enough since the mid '90s so that it WILL be the same.
That'd be good!!

George