[Shotimes] Brake noise fixed (sort of)

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:12:18 -0400

Put the stock bleeders back in, go get your money back on the Speed
Bleeders, and call it a day.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of fwhittle@mindspring.com
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:00 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Brake noise fixed (sort of)

Woo Hoo!  The grinding is gone.  The dust shields were rubbing on the discs,
like most people had said.  There should be a separate instruction to push
the bottom of the dust shield toward the center of the car before installing
the rotors.  So everyone else who said they have the same grinding noise, go
check the dust shields.

I do, however, still have the other noise that prompted me to do the upgrade
in the first place (don't get me wrong, the brakes needed to be done
anyway).  It may be coming from the rear, it's hard to tell.  It may be
warped rotors.  When the car is cold, it pretty much only makes the noise at
low speeds when going straight.  After applying the brakes, the noise is
more pronounced until I get going about 25+ mph.  If I turn the wheel, the
noise goes away.  After driving for a while, the noise is very pronounced
and pretty much constant.  I can make it go away by pressing lightly on the
brake pedal.  Has anyone in a non-rust area had the problem with the rear
brake hoses getting constricted by rust?  Does this sound like my problem?

On another note, I bought Speedbleeders for the front calipers.  They don't
screw in very far, which caused fluid to leak through the threads when
bleeding.  I got the HELP! brand, #12701, which I was told are simply
repackaged Speedbleeder brand.  Anyone else have the same experience with
these?  I was afraid to tighten them too much, and I actually had that
sickening feeling that I had tightened one of them a bit too much.  I think
I'll be putting the stock bleeders back in.

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance with this.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX