[Shotimes] Taurus's NASCAR Replacement

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:22:52 -0500

Actually, for about 4 years we had exactly that in the recent past.  Not
sure now what it was called, but it featured the Dodge Stratus and Honda
Civic, BMW 3 series etc.  Other than the Dodge, the other cars were from
the Europeon sedan racing series.  Dodge was the only American
manufacturer to get involved otherwise it might have had a chance.
David Donohue was the two time champion I think in the Dodge.

It died for lack of manufacturer support and good TV times.  I really
wanted to get to one of those races, knowing they would probably be
short lived.  They were based on production bodies with the basic stock
motor, but a highly modified racing transmission, and although MUCH
closer to stock than NASCAR now, they were still pretty much purpose
built race cars.

But they were a BLAST to watch, racing was close, lots more fender
banging (without the "big one") than NASCAR, with some cars getting a
lot of bodywork stripped by the end of a race, but it was fast, and fun.

Too bad it died.  The Speedvision series is most similar, and it is
still better racing than anything out there in America, but I find it
hard to catch it on TV.  And selling tickets to the public to pay for
the series is tough.  Sponsors won't pay big bucks without fans and good
TV slots.   But it is good racing.

Don Mallinson