[Shotimes] synthetic vs oil pressure

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:23:56 -0500

Don,

I don't have evidence for the SHO, but when my 1962 Catalina with a
fresh engine set slightly loose for racing had low oil pressure at hot
idle, I went from conventional 20-50 racing oil to Synthetic 15-50
racing oil and hot oil pressure went from near zero to about 9-10 at
idle, and never got less!    I would call that all the evidence I ever
needed that synthetics will work better in heat extremes.

I went to HD Diesel blend for my '89 SHO for the track event this year
at the suggestion of the Amsoil engineers.  the series 3000 HD diesel
has more high pressure additives and some stuff that is now missing from
automotive oils because of emissions standards.  Seemed to work well.

The Amsoil engineers didn't recommend going with 50 weight oil due to
the much tighter clearances in the SHO engine.  So I stayed with a 30
weight.

Don Mallinson