[Shotimes] Weird intermittent starting problem

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:49:43 -0500

I assume your grounding the battery through the body and did not run
an entire seperate cable for the battery ground to the front of the
car?  if so, make sure your connections are tight and smooth.

other ideas could be a clutch switch that has an issue.  You can also
check out the connection on the starter where the single small wire
attaches via a spade terminal.  The problem can be that this gets so
much oil and deposits built up on it that it makes poor contact.
might want to get a bit of brake/carb cleaner and clean the old oily
goot off the connector.   The littel wire is the "trigger" wire that
tells the starter to start, not the big red power one.  (disconnect
the battery before doing this.)  Lastly it could be a starter with
brushes beginning to go out, or a commutator that is very dirty and
the power is only intermittantly getting to the starter.

Best bet would be to see if you can get it home and get it to repeat
the problem.  Then do some troubleshooting.  test to see if there is a
+12v ignal to the trigger on the starter, check continuity between
starter ground and battery ground, same with positive (I assume
yousoltered all the terminals on and didn't crimp them on, if you
didn't, go back and solder them all on)

One of the laws on the VMW M/C list is to always look for the problem
in the last place you worked, so start at the battery relocation.