[Shotimes] ATX Questions (Time for my 4th tranny?)

Jack Dalzotto dalzotto@mosaiccomputers.com
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:18:14 -0400

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a long time, crossing my fingers my SHO doesn't tap
into my email and get any crazy ideas.  Knock on wood my SHO has been very
reliable the past 5 years, until this morning.  It is a 95 Green ATX with
about 105k.

Yesterday I went on a 400 mile round trip, mostly highway driving.  The SHO
ran great.  This morning I noticed it's shifting all weird.  I pulled out of
my street and I think it did the 1-2 at about 5k.  It was sort of a long
slip then a bump when it grabbed second.  2-3 shift was the same way.  3-4
seemed fine and once it was in OD it drove normal.  I noticed when slowing
down to turn the 3-2 kickdown would rev way up then slam into gear.

At noon it shifted the same but I noticed when backing up it was slipping
real bad.

Then on the way home the slip and bump shifts turned into just a harsh bump.
Now reverse is grabbing fine.

Any ideas?  Fluid level looks fine, it's nice and red, doesn't smell burnt.
Fluid probably has 10k miles on it.

I had this trans rebuilt about 5 years and 40k ago.  Before that, and before
I had the car, it had trans service by a Ford stealership, along with a ton
of other things under warranty (I wish I knew before I picked THIS car!)  To
make a long story short, I found out not too long ago the motor was out of
the car twice under factory warranty.  If anyone wants some interesting
OASIS reading let me know, I'll send you the VIN#!  I almost cried!  haha

I'm prepared to fork over the cash for a rebuild, I'm just hoping there may
be a chance it doesn't need a full overhaul.  I don't know much about
transmissions.

Also, are the FPS trannys or the SHO Shop units any good?  Any idea what I
should pay for just R & R if I get one of these units?  The dealership
quoted me about $1000 just in labor to replace the trans with one of their
rebuilt units.

Thanks!
Jack