[Shotimes] Rear wheel bearing/hub replacement warning

Dave Kegel d.kegel@comcast.net
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:20:58 -0500

Sorry for the cross posting....

--------------

Hello all,

I ran into a problem I thought I'd share with the list.  It could be one of
the things that only happens to me (seems as though there are a lot in this
category), but just in case I thought I'd warn others.

I recently replaced the rear wheel hubs on my '90.  As long as you have a
36mm socket, it's a very easy job. No press or special tools needed.  I did
this in the hotel parking lot in Indy during the convention.  I purchased
the hubs from Napa.  Things went well during the install, but I was lucky.

Here's the problem:  Once installed, the outside of the new hub (where the
wheel mounts) is just ever so slightly further inboard then the OEM hub.
The problem this causes is that a brand new, full thickness rear rotor will
hit the inside of the caliper bracket.  I got lucky in Indy because my rear
rotors were worn enough where they just barely fit.  In fact, the passenger
side was slightly rubbing.  The occasional odd noises is what prompted me to
take another look when I got home.  My rotors were rather beat from a
previous encounter with pad rivets, so I bought a new set, which is where I
ran into the problem.  Just to be sure, I went to a different store and
bought a second set of rear rotors, which also rubbed

What I ended up doing is taking the caliper bracket to the grinder and
removed the portion of the brackets that were hitting the rotor.  All seems
fine now, but I wanted to let everyone know.

Please note that these were Napa hubs.  A hub from AutoZone, Pep Boys,
Advance, etc. may not have this issue.

Any questions, please let me know.

Dave Kegel