[Shotimes] RE: GEN II AC ... Can it Handle the Heat

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:02:58 -0400

Hi Pete;
My 94 SHO will put out 45F dash temps even in 95F heat.
But both my SHOs and the Ford minivan needed a little help to do that.
Even with a completely re-vamped ($1000) and charged system I was not
getting very cold air, maybe 58F at the dash.I was so mad I was ready to
sell the SHO.
I then found many Ford and aftermarket A/C temp cycling switches are set on
the high side of the Ford spec range, or even slightly above. This switch
set-point needs to be blue-printed by you, on the low side of the factory
spec, for really cold A/C. The spec is 22-28psi. I tested four all pre-set
at 28-30 psi, and 3 were brand new.
The switch is located on the accumulator. Pull the connector and you will
see a screw. It is adjustable although that is not documented in Helms.
With a guage attached, adjust the screw until the compressor will pull the
pressure down to 20-21-22 psi before tripping the switch and cutting the
compressor off. It can make a 10F difference at the dash.
..
The low side setting controls how cold the system gets and is there
partially to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. I tested that as well
and even with settings as low as 17psi and the evaporator was still several
degrees above freezing. I think this is because the SHO has the accumulator
mounted on the radiator support and the SLO has it mounted on the firewall.
The SLO switch is much closer to the evaporator, where-as the SHO lines can
pick up a little engine heat before they travel 4 feet and get there, so I
think the SHO switch needs to be set a little lower to compensate. This same
trick on the minivan had much less effect because the switch & accumulator
are mounted on the firewall. It made a tremendous difference on my 89 SHO
(R-12) but also helped my 94 (R-134).
Lee