[Shotimes] Convention pics

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:32:45 -0500

There is a good comparison of oil filters on SHOclub.com at this location:

http://shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart1.htm

one of the later parts has the oil fitler info.  A little dated at this
point, but still valid.

We also found Fram to be of low quality.  K&N, Motorcraft, Amsoil, and
the no longer available AC Ultra guard were the best we found.

The problem with judging filters by cutting them open is that although
the filter media may look identical, some of it may have a finer filter
media than others.

Amsoil used to use a super fine filtering media, but had to quit using
it when higher volume oil systems started being used by manufacturers
many years ago.  The filter was great, but would not flow enough at high
rpm.  Thus, you won't find ANY spin on filters that go down to 1 micron
or less, because they would restrict flow.    THat is why I use a bypass
filter when possible, then you can get to .1 micron or less without
restricting flow.

Staying away from generic brands, and cheap brands seems to be the key.
Pretty much you get what you pay for with a filter.  K&N's main claim is
that it has a thicker can and better crimp and base than most.  and that
we found to be true.  But it won't filter better.  For extreme use in
race engines though, it is one of the best.

Don Mallinson