[Shotimes] Engine Lifting Points

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:50:49 -0500

yeah, that's probably the easiest place.  I am a big fan of stippin
gthe heads off the motor, then using a couple of head bolts as lifting
points.  It makes the process easier becasue there is less stuff to
work around, but harder becasue you have to strip off al the parts in
the chassis.

i also do the same for reassembly.  Next time though, I am going to
try engine out the bottom.  With a lift, this should be the easiest
way to do it.  Just disconnect all wiring, hoses accessories etc. and
pop the LCAs out, remove the endlinks, and also the motor dampeners
and 4 subfrme bolts, and I think the whole thing should slip nicely
out the bottom and remain sitting on some jackstands...  I probably
missed a little something, but that should be about it.  Subframe,
steering rack in all (oh yeah, tie rods come off)   Hmm...  I could
just undo the stuts at the unibody too and take all the suspension
assembled....  now that's a good idea....  just need to unhook brake
lines and abs sensors.

Anybody else use this route before?  I have an engine hoist, but boy
this sounds much easier.  Easy way to get to those tough to reach with
the manifold on rear spark plugs.  :)

My brother's with actually sent a note with him once when he came over
to work on his BMW.  She stuck it on the wheel bearing.. It said
"Installation of this part DOES NOT require removal of engine."  That
was after we had pulled a few from other cars we had been working on.

I have rambled.

Zach 'Also like Ian have bene posting way too much and working way too
little." Leahy