SUSPECT: RE: [Shotimes] yet another muffler question

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:44:09 -0500

The SS Y-pipe that went on my '89 in '96 with 135 miles was recently
replaced with over 200K on the car. Damn good longevity, IMHO, for a car
that has spent it's life in the Midwest.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of George Fourchy
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:03 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SUSPECT: RE: [Shotimes] yet another muffler question

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:20:45 -0800 (PST), Ian Fisher wrote:

>It lasts forever until you install a SHOshop Y pipe
>that rusts and spreads to the catback. The flange on
>the Y pipe (paper thin to begin with) rusted out which
>rusted out the flange on the stock midpipe and caused
>it to break.

I guess maybe there are different versions of that early one piece Y-pipe
(if that's
what you are talking about).  Mine (Lowrider's) has been on since it had
about 90K
miles, in 1996 or so.  It's still there, but with cats that were new in
1999.  Comes
off easy, when necessary.

Only surface rust at the joint...nothing eating holes in anything...the nuts
and
springs come off easily....and it does rain here...a lot.

288,062 miles as of yesterday's fill-up (calculating at 23 mpg on the
commute).

George