Fw: [Shotimes] Re: Clutch

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:39:08 -0500

I have done... well sevral, I have kind alost count.  If you are doing
it the normal way (remove subframe trans etc) you really need to find
a place that is not terrible to lie on your back for extended periods
of time.  I did one on a car in a gravel drive one... NEVER AGAIN.  we
ran into problem the whole way through and it was one of the slowest
known to man.  The worst part is if you dropped a bolt, it wa sa pain
to find it even though we put down cardboard under the car.  Lemme
just say it's a really bad idea.

You really need a paved/concrete area to do it on.  It's really the
only good solution.  You can do it outside, but it really is lousy.  I
have had to change an oil pump seal (not a main seal, the one on the
housing) outside in the rain in the parking lot of my dorm.  In less
than 5 words, it sucked.  I had the front of the car on stands, and i
shut the hood and wiggled completely under the car to stay drier..
ahhh... college.

clutches are not easy, 400 bucks in labor is not unreasonable for
someone to charge as it is just not a fun job at all.  If you are
really fast and have done it a number of times, you can get through it
in about 4-5 hours.  On your first time through expect problems, and
assume it will take several days.

Sorry I can't help, I'm in indiana and have a great shop we could do
the work in, but it not portable.