[Shotimes] Now I'm really screwed....speeding

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:31:37 -0600

The list is for SHO talk, but also for "car" talk too.
Helping a fellow SHO owner with a ticket is part of the
quality uses for this list IMO.

Most people speed at least a little some of the time.  Some
speed a lot almost ALL of the time.  Police generally don't
ticket till you get to at least 10 over unless you flaunt it
in their face.

As for Michael, Radar is instant.  You are right, a super
quick reaction can sometimes get some speed scrubbed of
before the officer locks in the reading, but Lazer is
instant and I don't think you can beat the reading.  NMA
might give you ammunition as to how they aim etc.  I don't
think Lazer has the calibration problems that radar does.

If there was a lot of traffic that day, you can make a case
for them maybe getting a reading off another car, especially
if they were a long way away when the reading was taken.
But Lazer is pretty focused on a small area, so that
argument usually won't work.  The fact that you drive a car
that was the best selling car of its day (or #2) means you
can make the case for mistaken identity.  You also have the
most popular color of the day (green).  Sales figures will
show that it was the most popular color for almost all
manufacturers in the early/mid 90's.

I think you might not have much luck with getting the
reading down from 104 to 90+, is the 100 mph point a big
deal in your state, quite often it is?  Even the wrong size
tires isn't a good defense, it usually only makes a 2 mph
difference at most speeds, and it is the owners
responsibility to use the proper size tire.

Might have more luck with a speedo that is out of
calibration, but you will need  signed affidavit from a
repair shop that the speedo was off, and that you got it
fixed, and do this BEFORE you go to court.

If you have the court supervision option, take it, pay the
fine, and then don't get another ticket till that is over!  :)

Don Mallinson