[Shotimes] WOO!!! Yet another question....Piston at TDC

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:52:43 -0800

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:39:16 -0800 (PST), Ian Fisher wrote:

>There are dimples and marks on the intake cam gears
>and the crank timing sprocket that are supposed to be
>oriented a certain way. My guess is the crank dimple
>will be at 12:00 but I don't have my helms handy so I
>can't tell you for sure.

The crankshaft is at TDC when the dimple on the crank timing sprocket is at 5:00.
If the sprocket were off the crank, the keyway is at 11:00.  The mark on the timing
belt down on the cranks sprocket is at 5:00.  WHen installed correctly, the two
camshaft sprocket marks are at 12:00, or almost there.  THey line up with the marks
on the back side of the timing belt cover....the metal part.

Older engines had the TDC mark on the damper at about 11:00 or so, as I
remember...maybe sometimes at 2:00.  This was just so you could find them with the
timing light.  The main thing was that the marks lined up with the pointer mounted
on the timing cover, so you could adjust the distributor after checking timing with
a strobe light.  SHOs have no distributor, and all is done by the PCM, so none of
that stuff is appropriate.  There are two marks on the SHO crank damper....they are
for smog checks.

George