[Shotimes] Wobbly Harmonic Balancer

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:25:27 -0500

> From: Carl Prochilo <GR8SHO@adelphia.net>
I'll know better once I get the part off, but I suspect the crankshaft timing gear is somewhat independent of the harmonic damper.

   That's what happened to me on the way home from the '99 convention, then my trip out to George's.  I figure my cams were about 20 degrees retarded relative to the crank.  Not good for power.
   The timing belt pulley is totally independent of the harmonic balancer.  When I got a new key I ordered a spare, so now I have two spares (one still on the other motor).  Good news:  The key is much softer than the crank, so you probably don't have crank wear.  The bad news:  The timing pulley will be shot.  Don't know if they're obsolete yet.  My old one is sitting atop my computer here at work, and still draws some odd looks and questions.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)