[Shotimes] Re: WOO!!! Yet another question....Piston at TDC

MonsieurBoo@aol.com MonsieurBoo@aol.com
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:29:01 EST

Frank:  "I just didnt know how to make sure the motor is TDC... Dave  gave a
nice suggestions regarding a coat hanger....i think it will do the  trick."

I imagine this coat hanger method is pretty much the low tech old-dog
equivalent of what I do with my motorcycle when I need to find TDC.

First of all you have to choose the correct cylinder to measure at TDC,  then
remove the sparkplug, replace it with a dial gauge that has a  suitable
extension on the measuring tip.  Then just rotate the crank  back and forth till
you're sure you're right on the maximum deflection of  the gauge needle.  That's
your actual physical TDC irrespective of whatever  marks may or may not be
visible, lined up, etc.  Assuming you're  measuring the correct cylinder you
can't go wrong.  Then you can use that  as a benchmark for everything else.

Back in Hawaii for quick 'n' dirty we used to grab a wooden chopstick  from
the kitchen drawer (cheap insurance against any chance of  scratching the
piston dome, and easy to draw a line on), but a  coat hanger will certainly
suffice.

Quick 'n' dirty would probably be just fine for confirmation of an obvious
matchup of the proper markings.

Cheers,
Mark LaBarre
94 atx 130k