[Shotimes] Wobbly Harmonic Balancer

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:04:57 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

If given a choice between used and new (at or around the price you
mentioned), what you would you do?

Basically the way I interpret what happened here, the rubber between the
pulley and the hub failed.  http://tinyurl.com/6asvg
The last three pictures posted show the crankshaft damper assembly
(harmonic balancer) off the car.  I removed the circlip so you can get a
better look.  With the part on the crankshaft, the pulley moved
independently from the hub section.  The way the part is assembled must be
done under a high pressure fitment.  Rubber chunks were falling out of the
part.  I would say maybe 25% of the rubber is actually left in the part.
Not sure if this core is salvageable (doubt it actually).

Anyway, I'd like to give R.F. Tanner special thanks for coming out to help
me this morning.  Used his battery, and bump starter method with large
breaker bar to get the bolt out, and as you can see from the pictures, the
holes in the hub for using the pulley removal tool were pretty banged up.
The bolts that came with pulley tool kit were too large to use on this
part.  After a long deliberation and search, was actually able to use the
timing cover bolt in there to secure the puller to the hub.  I now call
this the "RF manuever".

I'll checkout the woodruff key shortly to make sure that's okay, but the
crank itself looks very healthy.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo