[Shotimes] Re: (OT) SIU wins

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:38:53 -0600

Illinois is crazy for high school ball too.  Right now the
big school teams (AA class, we have a two class system
unlike Indiana that has what....47 classes?)  :)  are going
at it and Carbondale IL High (home city of SIU) is in the
final four and playing tonight.

The state is in an uproar over IHSA wanting to add more
classes, while the B-Ball purists want to go back to ONE
class.  Better to have a small school maybe make the really
BIG win once in a while than have the shame of admitting you
can't play with the Chicago schools.

Really, the two class system is OK with me, and I might be
able to live with four, but I would make it this four:

Big public schools
Big private schools
Little public schools
Little private schools

Private schools can recruit from anywhere while public
schools have a much harder time doing that.  (oh and all the
big schools recruit just like the pro teams.  in fact one
coach boasted about it two years ago at the finals, and got
his school banned for ONE year...yea, the IHSA takes it
serious!)  :)

Great basketball all around, can ignore the pro teams even
more completely than I normally do.

Don Mallinson