big boy go-karts was RE: [Shotimes] SHO engine in an MR2?

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:39:20 -0500

I think swapping an engine in and out of a factory car is a lot of
work.  I.e. putting a northstar in an MR2.  I have to wonder if it
would be faster and cheaper to build say a kit Cobra and drop in...
well anything you want from 100-2000hp.  It would certainly be easier
and you can get a kit from FFR fro 12k.  Bolt up one Mustang 5.0 and
you have a pretty cheap, cool looking go kart.

I would ask at this point with the MR2, is it worth it?  It seems like
an awful lot of work to go through just to make it all work.  Albeit
it's very cool and very unique.

Even though you said not to say a kit car, I say a kit car.  They can
be reasonably priced, hold nearly any engine/tranny combo, and are
buil with full frame chassis/coilovers/etc for the track.  Yeah, if
you want a good track car cheap, start with a car designed for the
track.  If you start with a car from the street and rammalama some
gigantoid engine into it then you are asking for issues down the road.