[Shotimes] Speedometer Cable / Radio

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:53:12 -0500

Well my reasoning for buying a new cable is solely because mine makes a
horrible squeaking noise whil I'm driving. It drives me nuts to the point I
can't drive the car without the radio on. Sucks if one wants to listen to
the music a cammed 3.2 makes while crusing around.

I was thinking that I would try taking apartt a donor cable and greasing the
heck out of it with a lightweight grease. FWIW the sticky VSS on my 94's old
tranny made for a bouncy speedo needle, and I don't even want to look in the
tranny to see what that might have done to the speedo gear on the diff,
unless your talking about the gears in the speedo itself.

I wonder if there is anywhere out there that could make a proper SHO speedo
cable, perhaps like a speedo shop or something?

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX
*	93 Emerald Green MTX - SOLD
*	93 Black ATX - New Parts CAR
*	95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO -Buyer waiting
*	96 TR - Cam Failed project LSD car :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of George Fourchy
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:40 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Speedometer Cable / Radio

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:53:39 -0500, Frank \"SHOrage\" Costa wrote:

>I picked one up from carparts.com

Measure it to make sure it isn't too long.  If the portion extending above
the bushing that holds it in place at the upper end is not located properly,
you will ruin your speedo.

Take the cores out of the cables and make absolutely sure they are
identical.  The new housing I got from Rock Auto was so hard and unflexible
that it was very difficult to install, to say nothing of the fact the core's
incorrect dimensions ruined my tranny speedo gears.

Been there.

George