[Shotimes] Speedometer Cable / Radio

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:31:50 -0800

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:53:12 -0500, Bruce Malachuk wrote:

>I was thinking that I would try taking apartt a donor cable and greasing the
>heck out of it with a lightweight grease. FWIW the sticky VSS on my 94's old
>tranny made for a bouncy speedo needle, and I don't even want to look in the
>tranny to see what that might have done to the speedo gear on the diff,
>unless your talking about the gears in the speedo itself.

No...the speedo wasn't moving, yet the tranny gears were tearing themselves up
trying to get the whole thing to rotate.  It finally started working for a minute or
two above about 35 mph.  If all you have is a squeaky cable, take it out, remove the
core, and grease it with vaseline or something similar to that.  Don't use graphite
powder...that will eat up the core over time.   As long as your original housing is
OK...not burned by the EGR if you have it...you don't need a new cable.

>I wonder if there is anywhere out there that could make a proper SHO speedo
>cable, perhaps like a speedo shop or something?

I sent pictues of my good cables posed next to the Rock Auto copies to Dorman, the
folks who actually make them....they're made in China, but theoretically to specs
supplied by this company....and I'm following up to make sure they get them and
redesign their replacements.

George