[Shotimes] OT outliving a stadium

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 2 May 2005 22:54:11 -0700 (PDT)

The big issue is that revenue from skyboxes, concessions, etc do not get shared with the league like TV revenues do.

Ron Porter

bjshov8 <bjshov8@comcast.net> wrote:
As players salaries go up, team owners have to look for other sources of
income to pay the salaries. One recent idea is to build a new stadium with
more private suites to sell. Take the money from sales of the suites to pay
players. One of our local teams recently has decided to move from our
suburb to another suburb. Taxpayers of the other suburb will pay half of
the cost of the new stadium, the team owner will profit from the new
stadium, and use part of that to pay higher player salaries. Another of our
local teams has a new arena that they convinced the city to build them-
again the taxpayers of the city pay 1/2 of the cost of the new stadium and
the team owner reaps the profit.