[Shotimes] front brake options for Sr 72 ?

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com>
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:01:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Remember that TCE's kit is more than a set of calipers/rotors and pads in a box.  It's a custom machined/drilled 90-93 spindle.  Powdercoatd, has NEW bearings and hub, with longer studs (at least if you are using a fat hat to run slicers).  Custom laser cut brackets for the calipers (new standard in the kits are the forged superlight 4 pots which are about 1 lb heavier than the old BSL's but much much stiffer) and a custom 2 piece rotor (alum hat) and hardware.  when you look at the all the custom machine work and parts and pieces, it's not really a bad deal.  And replacement parts are cheap, and wilwood's "A" track pad (if you so choose to run such an animal) last virtually forever.  you will replace rotors more often than pads.

on a unique car such as the SHO (ie, limited aftermarket parts, custom pieces and parts, etc).  start with the wheels.  this gives you the clearance and flexability to mess with custom stuff.  SHO NUT's TD PR1.2 so far of anything I've seen, have the largest clearance for rotor/caliper dia, AND more importantly caliper to spoke clearance.  you run into clearance problems when you try to hang a wide body 4 piston fixed caliper over a rotor, the outside of the caliper wants to hit the spokes.  these wheels are 17x8", about 20 lbs (about 2 lbs more than a slicer) are strong and have really reallly really good spoke clearance.  Enough I'll be running TCE's 13x1.1" kit *WITH* a thin stock thickness hat (wheel is now hubcentric) and still have plenty of room.

13" is honestly more for the bling I guess, although you do get something like 10 or 12% more leverage/brake torque for a given amount of brake pressure.

all that to say 96 brakes with good pads/fluid is decent (I got sick of burning up boots and pads and such) and if you are gonna spend any beyond that, I'd skip the PBR stuff and go to a TCE 12.2x1.1 kit with FSL's and A pads.  Will be more than enough brake for most cars on the track, is really light (my original 12.2x.810 kit was 30 lbs lighter than the 96 brakes, the 1.1 kit will be a bit heavier) and if you can find the right wheel 16 or 17 to fit it under (the PR1.2 gets my nod) then you are good to go.

A fixed caliper will always have a better feel than a floater