[Shotimes] Accounting for Road Crown in Setting Alignment

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:49:20 -0500

> I notice that the alignment specs on the SHOtimes FAQ
> make no mention of offsetting the alignment on one side
> to account for road crown. Is this correct - equal
> settings on both sides?  Or should some further refinement
> in the numbers be made?
>
>     Alan

   I don't know about you guys, but I always offset caster 1/8 - 1/4 degree more negative on the passenger side.  That works fine for most of the crowned roads in my area.  One road is still a problem, but it'd probably take about a full degree to ride it straight.  On the plus side, that road never is flooded.
   Oh, and beware of shops that will compensate for crown with camber.  It can be done, but can wear one tire more than the other.  On our cars, this is usually done when the subframe has shifted from stock and the shop only adjusts at the tower.
   On the other hand, for track use offset caster will just be a pain in the butt.  In that case, put the caster at a good place for your track.  A bit more negative for high speed stability, a bit less negative for better turn in on short twisties, etc.
   Unfortunately, unless you've modified the strut towers or added adjusters, what really ends up happening is you get it as close as you can and hope for the best.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)
Sierra Vista, AZ