[Shotimes] Accounting for Road Crown in Setting Alignment

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:40:46 -0700

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:00:36 -0600, Dave Kegel wrote:

>I always set both sides even and never notice any issues with crowned roads.

Back in the days when the Boss was on the road, I had my alignments done at a shop
owned by one of our Mustang Club's GT-350 owners.  Those cars used shims on the
A-arms, and were easy to change caster on, once one had the hang of it.  He
mentioned that he had set his alignment for the crowned two lane asphalt roads we
had a lot of around Fresno in the '70s.  I tried it, and found that it induced a bit
of pull to the left on a flat concrete freeway.  In town, or on the crowned roads it
was set for, there was no problem, but I decided that I'd rather have the car the
same on both sides.

If I were going slower, it didn't matter if the car wanted to pull a bit due to the
crowned pavement on a city street or rural road, but at cruise on the highway, the
pull was a distraction I didn't want to deal with.

YMMV

George