[Shotimes] Bad Ball Joints or Wheel Bearings?

Bob bob@hotpursuit.net
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 22:25:17 -0800

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:20:15 -0800, Alan Fanning wrote:
>
> >To my disappointment, there is a tiny little bit of play on
> >the passenger side when shaking the wheel about the horizontal
> plane (hands
> >at 12:00 and 6:00).
> >So, how do I tell whether the play is the result of bad ball
> joints or bad
> >wheel bearings? The car has 82k easy miles on it.

To test the ball joints, I jack the car up just enough to slip a crowbar
under the wheel at an angle, but not so that the wheel lifts off the ground.
Lifting up and down on the bar should make obvious any play.  If the play is
really bad, it'll be obvious.  If you know of anyone with a Dodge truck or
Durango, try it on their car and you'll see the movement right away.  Then
you'll know what to look for.  <GD&R>

	-- Bob